Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Lenten Season

It's Ash Wednesday today and Lent has officially started! I've been looking forward to this lent and really hoping to strengthen my prayer life and embrace lent instead of feeling irritated that I have to fast and abstain when I don't want too. And how come it seems like whenever you can't have meat, is when your craving it? Or when you can't eat as much.. your so hungry. Maybe I'm nuts! But anyway, I want to remember what Jesus did for us, and have a spiritual cleansing for myself before Easter this year.

I (as well as my family) will be doing the regular Lenten Fast and Abstinence according to the Catholic Church. For the official rules ... which I always seem to forget, every year... I have found them on the Internet, so when I throw out my paper I can find them again in a hurry.

This year I wanted to give something up as I usually do, but I also wanted to do something as well. I always run it through my head... well I could do this, but that's not really doing anything for anyone, being charitable... or that's just too hard for me to really do. So, I got honest with myself this year - I suppose it's about time. I wanted to be realistic though too - or I would set myself up to fail and feel really guilty and un willing to continue.

So... I'm giving up sweets this year. I know this is something a lot of people do, but I'm really going to do it. Not ... well I'm giving up sweets, but not ice cream... definitely not Moo-late's.. and I can have whatever I want on Sunday's because that doesn't count. No, I'm going cold turkey.. nothing, nada.. no, no, no.

As for giving... I'm going to do a decade of the Rosary everyday. I've been really trying to do this anyway for the past month or so, but it seems to get put on the back burner and it doesn't always get done. I'm going to offer my decade for friends, family, prayer intentions, etc. Then once a week Kurt and I are going to do a full Rosary together. This was not my idea, it was Kurt's and let me tell you... he knows how to score points (Ha ha ha! Just kidding.) because when he said that he wanted to do that, I fell in love with him all over again. I have a great hubby! I think this is going to be great - help Kurt and I grow together spiritually. I have been wanting to do something like this for a long time, but we never do it. I'm really looking forward to this.

I'm hoping to make it to Mass this evening.. but with this winter storm we're having.. I have a feeling that probably won't happen.. we're supposed to get ten inches or more of snow and the way it's been coming down this morning, that shouldn't be a problem. Everything is canceled. I really want to make it to the Stations of the Cross at least once, and if we have more than the once a month Adoration (which we usually make it too) I'm going to try to make it there.

I hope everyone else is looking forward to having a wonderful Lenten Season! What are you doing this year?

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

OOOH! Adoration! Good one! I can't believe I didn't think of that! Our church has 'round the clock adoration of the Blessed Sacrament in a sweet little adoration chapel connected to the church--I always say I'm going to go more often (b/c it's so good when I do go), but then I get busy doing other stuff and forget. I should also add confession to my list--I really really want to do this right! I loved your post and you are wrong--it was eloquent and well-thought! I love how you write--It's always more interesting than my boring blog posts!! :oD

Anonymous said...

I always find it amazing when you mention things that Kurt does like going to church by himself or this Rosary thing. None of the men in my family "do" church. I am thrilled when Danny agrees to anything but I know he does it only to make me happy.
Anywho every year I try to do something to improve myself that I should do anyways but I need a reason to help get the habit started rather than giving up something I know I am just counting the days until I can have back again.
Hopefully we'll see you at Mass tonight although it's looking very iffy right now.

CJ Sweet said...

Andrea, I LOVE that you and your husband are going to do the Rosary together! I have been suggesting a family Rosary to my husband for, like, a year now, and though he never says no, he never says yes either. He just kind of mumbles or grunts and hopes I go away! LOL! He's actually very spiritual, but likes to be private.

I am giving up snacking after dinner for Lent. I'm not usually big into giving up stuff for Lent, but I decided if I picked something really hard I would be able to offer it up for the poor souls. Believe me, this one is hard! I usually snack big time before bed - nachos, popcorn, whole sandwiches. I'm a hardcore snacker. As for doing something more, I'm leading Stations of the Cross at my church one Friday and going to more frequent Mass (mornings when I can and a Thursday night Mass our church is offering).

I can't wait to tell my husband about your family Rosary - you are very inspiring!!